This is my husband’s favorite cake. I made it the past weekend for his birthday! It is made with freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest. The result is a thick and airy batter and a beautifully risen sponge cake. The cake is not cloyingly sweet and the orange glaze adds a nice finishing touch. I got the recipe from the internet so long ago, I have no idea from where. If any of you do, let me know, and I will be happy to give due credit.
You will need: (* – Refer notes)
For the cake
- All purpose flour – 11/2 cups
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Butter – 1/2 cup, softened
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Eggs – 2, at room temperature
- Orange zest – 4 tsp
- Orange juice – 1/4 cup
- Sour cream* – 1/2 cup
For the glaze
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Orange juice – 1/3-1/2 cup
- Sugar(fine) – 2/3 cup
Notes: I substitute thick non-flavored yogurt for sour cream.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg.F and grease an 8-in cake pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together and keep aside.
- Beat butter, sugar and orange zest for two minutes till creamy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Whisk in sour cream and orange juice.
- Add dry ingredients and mix till well blended.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the orange juice and stir in the sugar.
- Boil and simmer till it reaches a syrupy consistency.
- Poke holes in the still warm cake with a fork or small knife.
- Pour and smooth the glaze on the top and sides.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
- Serve warm or chilled in the fridge for a couple of hours.
And here it is in action (along with my painted bottles) on my husband’s birthday. I should have dusted the sugar just before serving. It clumped in some places. Nevertheless, it was still very yummy!
This cake works well with a cream cheese frosting too. This is an absolutely darling cake with sweet citrus notes. It is a favorite at our home.
Let me know if you try this!
I am linking up to parties at these awesome blogs.
- Frugal Foodie Mama
- This Gal Cooks
- The Dedicated House
- Between Naps on the Porch
- Home To 4 Kiddos
- Keeping It Simple
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
- Coastal Charm
- Housewife How-To’s
- Savvy Southern Style
- Southern Lovely
- Adorned From Above
- The Shabby Creek Cottage
- House of Hepworths
- 52 Mantels
- Mom on Timeout
- Confessions of an ADD Housewife
- Katie’s Nesting Spot
- The Shabby Nest
- Finding Fabulous
- French Country Cottage
- Common Ground
- Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
- Tatertots and Jello
- My Romantic Home
- Crafts a la Mode
- Design Dining and Diapers
- Crafty Scrappy Happy
- Craftberry Bush
- DIY Show Off
- Under the Table and Dreaming