Fall is definitely here! Even is usually oh-so-hot south-central Texas. We just had a cold front blowing in from God knows where. Whaaat?!! (Cue: Whiny minion voice. By the way, I just love that movie, don’t you?!)
Coming back to the topic, the cool weather just inspired me to create a little something. While I don’t deck our home with witches and ghouls (which I don’t believe in, to begin with; but that would be a whole new topic of discussion), how about pumpkins? Pumpkins are cute, right? They are all round and chubby and orange. Or are they?
Now, if I had the time or inclination, I would love to create something like these.
Don’t these just make you want to curl up in a comfy couch with a warm mug of something soothing and dream of even cooler climes?
I went a simpler route with my DIY pumpkin. You can almost call it shabby-chic. ‘Lazy’ might be a better word. Ahem!
Once the season is over, this pumpkin can be de-constructed, so that the stuff inside can be put to use again. That’s because I used a small soccer ball. Yep, you heard that right!
You will need:
- Ball – use one that is slightly out of air
- Fabric – cut in a square shape, to comfortably cover the ball
- Rubber bands
- Ribbon, twine or yarn
- Craft paper and scissors
- Place the fabric on a flat surface and tie a small knot in the middle using a rubber band. See the picture above.
- Place the ball in the middle. Gather the fabric around the ball, make little pleats and secure on top with a rubber band.
- Secure with another rubber band a couple of inches above the first one and trim the remaining fabric. This will be the stalk of the pumpkin.
- Cover the stalk part with a length of broad ribbon, twine or yarn. Secure with a dot of hot glue or if you are like me, just tuck the ends in.
- Cut out a leaf using green craft paper and fix with curly ribbon.
You can make them in any kind of fabric to match your decor. How’s that for a fun, easy DIY?
A pumpkin that your kiddo will have fun kicking around!
I am linking this up at November Before & After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick and at these awesome blogs.
- A Blossoming Life
- Skip To My Lou
- The Dedicated House
- Between Naps on the Porch
- Better With Age
- Colours Dekor
- Home Stories A To Z
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
- A Stroll Thru Life
- Cedar Hill Ranch
- Coastal Charm
- Elizabeth & Co
- House On The Way
- Savvy Southern Style
- The NY Melrose Family
- Not Just A Housewife
- The Shabby Creek Cottage
- 52 Mantels
- Domestic Superhero
- Living Well Spending Less
- Reasons To Skip The Housework
- Design Dining and Diapers
- The Shabby Nest
- French Country Cottage
- Common Ground
- Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
- My Romantic Home
- The Charm of Home
- Thirty Handmade Days
- Crafts a la Mode
- Love of Family and Home
- Tatertots and Jello
- Its Overflowing
- DIY Show Off
- Three Mango Seeds
- Nifty Thrifty Things
- By Stephanie Lynn