My blogging mantra is simple. Keep it simple, keep it real, keep it interesting. Some recipes hit one, maybe two of these criteria. But this particular one, has it all.
I always forget to blog about the simple things, the little gems that I keep going back to for everyday sustenance. You know, the kind of food that is whipped up on short notice, without even thinking, sometimes with eyes half-closed from sleep in the morning? This is one such recipe that I discovered rather late in my culinary “game”, but one that we’ve wholeheartedly embraced, loved and tweaked over time. You might think this is all too much ado over something as basic and simple as toasted bread sandwich.
If you already are a lover of avocado and egg toast, then all this post might do is make you run to the kitchen and fry up some eggs for your toast. If you’ve never heard about this combination, well then, I am doing you a huge favor. Trust me, it’s worth the hype.
It is a basic fried egg on toasted bread sandwich, which is dressed up with buttery smooth avocados, either sliced or mashed. You don’t need butter or mayo or any of those fancy sandwich spreads. Simplicity at it’s best.
But maybe we’ll slice up a couple of juicy tomatoes and lightly sear them in a pan, extra points if you score some fat, vine-ripened ones.
The egg can be fried just how you like it. Sunny side up, over-easy, well-done, it’s upto you.
AVOCADO AND EGG TOAST
You will need: (Makes 2 sandwiches)
- Eggs – 2, large
- Avocado – 1 large or 2 small ones
- Tomato – 1, sliced
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Oil – to fry the eggs
- Bread slices – 4
- Heat a skillet and lightly smear with oil. Break open an egg when pan is hot enough and fry to your liking, either sunny side, over easy or flipped over and well-done. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Repeat as per each person’s preference.
- Once eggs are done, place the tomato slices in the pan and lightly sear both sides.
- Toast the bread slices in the toaster or in a skillet/griddle till browned to your liking.
- Peel, core and slice the avocado. Place a few avocado slices on a slice of bread. Top with an egg and some sliced tomatoes and cover with another slice of bread. Repeat for all sandwiches.
- Enjoy while egg is still warm with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
- You can mash the avocados and spread on the bread slices instead of simply slicing them.
- If you do not want to fry the eggs, you can build this sandwich using sliced boiled eggs. I do it all the time and absolutely love it.
It is the simplest and best breakfast sandwich ever.
The best part for me is biting into a runny egg yolk, which when combined with a bit of avocado and tomato is an absolute riot of soul-satisfying flavors.
Have you tried an avocado and egg sandwich? What is your favorite breakfast? Do share.
I am linking this up at these awesome blogs.
- A Blossoming Life
- Skip To My Lou
- Between Naps on the Porch
- Home Stories A To Z
- A Stroll Thru Life
- Cedar Hill Ranch
- Coastal Charm
- Elizabeth & Co
- Savvy Southern Style
- The NY Melrose Family
- The Turquoise Home
- Living Well Spending Less
- The Shabby Nest
- French Country Cottage
- My Romantic Home
- The Charm of Home
- Crafts a la Mode
- The Novice Gardener
- DIY Show Off
- Nifty Thrifty Things
- By Stephanie Lynn