It’s getting hot, hot and hotter by the day. Some days are hot and humid and that is the worst combination ever. And on days like that, the best things to eat should come straight out of the freezer, icy cold and delicious.
But if I had ice cream every day during the Texan summer, it wouldn’t take too long for me to blow up like a pinata. Fruits and cooling vegetables are the way to go then. All the better if they are in some sort of frozen state.
Hence this recipe. I paired sweet honeydew melon with cooling cucumber and some tangy lime. Summer also warrants easy-to-make recipes, not something that requires you to be in the kitchen near a hot stove for more time than absolutely necessary. So we simply blend the ingredients together, sweeten slightly if required, freeze and enjoy!
Not only are they pretty to look at (just look at that gorgeous summer green!), they are absolutely delicious and very refreshing.
Use more of the melon or more of the cucumber as per your preference. I used half of a big honeydew melon and one medium cucumber.
HONEYDEW MELON, CUCUMBER AND LIME POPSICLES
You will need: (Makes 12 small popsicles)
- Honeydew melon – 1 small or half of a large one
- Cucumber – 1
- Lime – 1
- Sugar – 2 tbsp (or as per taste)
- Peel, remove the seeds and dice the melon and cucumber. Juice the lime.
- Blend the ingredients together. Do this in batches if required. Add sugar to taste.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve, squeezing out as much of the juice as possible.
- Pour into popsicle molds, cover and freeze till solid, maybe 4-6 hours. If you do not have the molds, you can pour this mixture into small cups and freeze for an hour. When partially frozen, stick in the wooden popsicle sticks and freeze for another 4-6 hours or till firm. To remove the popsicles from the molds, lightly run tap water around the sides for a few seconds, twist and remove.
- Add a few mint leaves while blending. It will add more freshness.
- For another healthy melon popsicle recipe, see my watermelon-berry popsicles post.
This can be a healthy dessert after a light summer lunch or any-time snack. I usually have it throughout an especially hot day. Try this unique combination, I’m sure you’ll love it!!