It’s been a while since I posted a roast chicken recipe. Those are my favorite. So little work, such delicious food. Comforting, warm and nourishing, a platter of roast chicken and vegetables is enough to lift our moods at dinner time.
While the sign of good roast meat is non-soggy meat, sometimes, just sometimes, I also crave a sauce with it. Nothing is easier than a self-saucing chicken bake. If you have a skillet that goes from stove-top to oven, you can do it all in one pan. This recipe is for a saucy chicken and potato bake in a creamy lemon sauce.
Yes, you heard that right. I did say, creamy lemon sauce. It has garlic, shallots, parsley and a sauce made by reducing stock, lemon juice and a splash of cream. I added thick-cut potatoes to make it a complete meal.
I used bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, but you can use any cut of meat as per your preference. The chicken and potatoes are rubbed with a fragrant spice mix and pan-fried lightly. Then the shallots and garlic get sauteed and a sauce is made on the stove-top by de-glazing the pan with a little bit of stock and lemon juice. Add a bit of cream, return chicken and potatoes to pan and finish cooking in the oven.
As for the spice mix, I used my favorite sumac along with some dried oregano and cayenne. You can use anything you like, or just use a basic black pepper and salt rub.
The sauce is thick, creamy and tangy. This chicken bake is best enjoyed as soon as it is made. You do not want to let the lemon slices sit in the sauce for a long time. Serve it over pasta or with lightly toasted nutty bread.
- Sumac - 3 tsp
- Dried oregano - 2 tsp
- Cayenne powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Chicken thighs - 3, bone-in skin-on preferred
- Russet potato - 1, cleaned and cut into thick slices
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Shallots - 8-10, halved
- Garlic - 5 cloves, minced
- Chicken stock - ¾ cup
- Lemon - 1
- Heavy cream - 3-4 tbsp
- Parsley - 1 tbsp, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400 deg.F.
- Mix the sumac, dried oregano, cayenne powder and a teaspoon of salt in a small bowl to make the spice rub. Rub this liberally over the chicken and potatoes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pan. Place chicken skin side down and also the potatoes, and fry for 2-3 minutes. Flip the pieces and fry the other side for a couple of minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- There should be some fat left in the pan. Add shallots and garlic and saute till lightly fragrant, a couple of minutes.
- Now add the chicken stock and deglaze the pan by scraping up the browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Squeeze in the juice from half a lemon and season lightly with salt (if stock is already salted, no need to season). Cook and reduce this sauce slightly. Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- Return chicken and potatoes to the pan or arrange them in an oven-proof baking dish and pour the prepared sauce over them. Slice the rest of the lemon and nestle the slices among chicken pieces.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or till chicken juices run clear. Remove from oven, sprinkle parsley on top and serve immediately.
I love using shallots in this recipe though you can use regular red onions as well.
Spoon the creamy sauce over the chicken and potatoes and enjoy the warm goodness of roast meat and potatoes.
What is your favorite way to roast chicken? Have you tried a saucy version? Do share.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, pin and share this post.