These delicious pan-fried fritters are the healthier cousin of our beloved vade and pakore. Bursting with the flavors of fresh zucchini and corn, these are a snap to make and goes great along with your evening cuppa or even as a side for your main meal.
There’s something about fried foods that holds a universal allure for the young and old alike. But when you want the allure and taste of piping hot bhajiye, vade or pakora without the added calories, pan fritters are the way to go.
Similar to this super popular lentil fritters recipe which I posted last summer, this one is a killer recipe as well. I have used fresh summer vegetables like zucchini and corn here. For the batter to come together, a little bit of chickpea flour is all you need. Sometimes I add wholewheat breadcrumbs too, but you can omit them to make this completely gluten free.
A few minutes per side on a hot skillet or griddle with the slightest touch of oil and you get these super addictive, crisp on the outside and moist inside fritters. You can serve them as such or add a lightly spiced yogurt dip or any condiment of choice. We also like to have them along with our main meal of rice, rotis and such.
This is a very versatile recipe and you can use a plethora of vegetables. Think carrots, potatoes, broccoli, pan-wilted spinach, etc.
- Zucchini - 2½ cups, coarsely shredded
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Corn kernels - 1 cup
- Red chili flakes - ½ tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - ½ tsp
- Chickpea flour (besan) - ½ cup
- Wholewheat breadcrumbs - up to ¼ cup (to be used as needed, see Notes)
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Take the coarsely shredded zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle ½ tsp salt over it. Rest for 10 minutes to draw out the liquid from the zucchini.
- Squeeze out the water from the zucchini. Add the zucchini, corn, red chili flakes, cumin powder, garam masala powder and chickpea flour to a mixing bowl. Mix well with a spoon to form a doughy batter. If you feel the batter is too loose, add breadcrumbs, a few spoons at a time, till everything comes together. If you do not wish to use breadcrumbs, you can add more chickpea flour. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Divide batter into 6 portions. Form each portion into thin patties with your hand and pan-fry on both sides till nicely browned, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve the fritters hot with your favorite chutney or dip. To make an easy yogurt dip, I add a few spoons of shredded zucchini, salt and a pinch of red chili flakes in a cup of thick whipped yogurt.
2. To make this recipe gluten-free, skip the breadcrumbs and keep adding more chickpea flour till the batter comes together. The batter should be wet but not runny, so that you can form the patties easily.
3. Don't discard the liquid drained from the grated zucchini. Add it to your smoothies, roti dough or dal curries.
I love the combination of zucchini and corn in these fritters. I have spiced them lightly to suit our tastes. Feel free to up the amount of chilies or omit them as per your preference.
These zucchini corn fritters are light enough for summer and also great for those moody rainy evenings along with a hot cup of tea. Do give them a try!
Do you make vegetable pakora or fritters? Have you tried making them healthier without all the deep-frying? Do give this one a try.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.