Make taco nights even better with these easy Mexican chicken street tacos. Simple, fuss-free and absolutely delicious, these chicken tacos are a super hit with everyone!
Raise your hands if you love taco nights! Yeah, that’s what I thought. Is there anything better than tacos?
Tacos are the perfect meal. You get your carbs, protein and greens all in one convenient package. I love to come up with taco fillings and flavors to keep the whole experience interesting.
One of my all-time favorite tacos are simple Mexican street tacos. The kind you get at suspicious-looking food tacos or the kind that you find written in small print at the very bottom of your Mexican takeout place menu.
And FYI, no taco is complete without fresh cilantro and lime. I repeat, no cilantro and lime; no taco. I just don’t get the hate-brigade against this fragrant herb. It’s the poor man’s basil, dill and thyme, all rolled into one.
So, back to our street style tacos. Chicken, fish and beef are our favorite taco fillings. We don’t cook pork at home a lot, though I’ve heard that pork tacos are some of the best out there. Chicken and fish are the easiest to cook and serve in tacos.
These Mexican chicken street tacos are super simple to put together. Just cut up some chicken (I personally like dark meat for it’s flavor and juiciness), rub with taco seasoning (homemade or otherwise) and cook it in a hot skillet. Toast your tacos, load with the chicken, some chopped onions, cilantro, corn and lots of lime juice. That’s it. Simple, clean flavors. You can go all fancy with avocados, grilled peppers, and all sorts of fancy sauces. But the best street tacos are the simplest.
And man, are they delicious! You cannot stop at one, or two, or even three. At least not in the Happy & Harried household.
Now that Cinco de Mayo is upon us, you may want to save this recipe for that Mexican party that you’ve planned. I love a good taco bar. I set out some sour cream for the kiddo, but the mister and I like to have these chicken tacos without too many sauces. Anything works, it’s your taco!
- Chicken thighs - 1 lb, boneless and skinless
- Cayenne powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - ½ tsp
- Garlic powder - ½ tsp
- Onion powder - ½ tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Corn kernels - 1 cup, fresh or frozen
- Red onion - 1, finely chopped
- Cilantro - ½ cup, finely chopped
- Jalapeno - 1, deseeded and chopped
- Corn tortillas - 8, small
- Lime wedges - as needed
- Cut chicken into small bite sized pieces. Rub with salt, cayenne, cumin, garlic and onion powders. You can use a tablespoon of store-bought taco seasoning instead.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken in a single layer and cook on both sides till browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Now add the corn kernels and saute for a couple of minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together onions, cilantro and jalapeño. Season with a squeeze of lime juice and salt as per taste.
- Toast the tortillas on a hot cast-iron skillet or on the grill.
- Assemble tacos by topping tortillas with chicken, corn and onions. Serve with more lime wedges on the side and a nice, cold drink.
Do try these delicious, juicy tacos on your next taco night!
Don’t forget to PIN & SAVE this recipe for later.
So, are you a taco person? What are your favorite fillings? What are your plans for Cinco de Mayo? Do try these easy street tacos and let me know how you like them.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.
I am sharing this over at Fiesta Friday.