These are the fluffiest, softest banana muffins made even better with chocolate and chopped walnuts. A great recipe to bake with kids too!
I had to toss a coin to decide what to call these muffins. Do I call them banana chocolate muffins or chocolate banana muffins? It doesn’t matter if you are a chocolate lover or a banana bread fan. These muffins have got them all. Plus, walnuts too!
This is a great recipe to bake with kids . Give them a bowl, a whisk, a set of measuring cups and put them to work. But seriously, muffin recipes are great to get kids interested in cooking/baking. The kiddo sprinkled some chocolate sprinkles on our muffin tops. If you like, you can fold in some mini chocolate chips right into the batter as well.
It’s really hard to get banana muffins wrong. Just make sure to use really overripe bananas and mash them well to make a smooth-ish batter. Dark cocoa powder adds enough chocolate flavor to make this different from a regular banana muffin. If you don not have walnuts, you can use almonds or leave the nuts out entirely.
And don’t forget to keep a jugful of cold milk at hand to wash down the warm muffins. So good in this fall weather, I tell’ ya!
Here are more baking recipes that involve banana.
- Chocolate swirled banana bread.
- Peanut butter banana bread (eggless).
- Papaya banana coconut muffins (eggless).
- Simple GF banana coconut bread.
- Banana & chocolate chip muffins (eggless).
Here’s the recipe for chocolate banana walnut muffins.
- All-purpose flour - 1½ cups
- Dark unsweetened cocoa powder - ¼ cup
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Baking soda - 1⅛ tsp
- Bananas - 3 large, very ripe
- Demerara sugar - ½ cup
- Egg - 1, large
- Oil - ½ cup
- Milk - ¼ cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Walnuts - ½ cup, chopped
- Chocolate sprinkles - 2 tbsp, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 375 deg.F. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a bowl. set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add bananas and mash them smoothly. You will have around 1 cup of mashed bananas.
- Add sugar, egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Fold dry ingredients into the banana batter and mix till just combined. Fold in chopped walnuts too.
- Fill batter in cupcake pan. Sprinkle some chocolate sprinkles on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or till they pas the toothpick test. The tops will be cracked.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove on to a wire rake and cool completely.
Enjoy fluffy, moist and delicate chocolate banana muffins with the goodness of walnuts too!
These muffins are a great after school snack, dessert or even breakfast.
Don’t forget to PIN & SAVE this recipe for later.
Do you like banana bread and muffins? Have you tried them with chocolate? Do try this recipe and let me know how it goes.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.
I am sharing this over at Fiesta Friday.