Layers of delicate crepes held together with a luscious chocolate filling and topped with mocha whipped cream and berries is the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert.
Are you excited for spring and spring treats? I sure am! I love pretty spring desserts and the best way to kickstart the celebrations is by making a pretty cake dressed up with chocolate and berries for your loved ones.
Now, this is no ordinary cake. Its is a crepe cake or mille cake, a delicate and stunning layered dessert cake. Layers of tender vanilla crepes are stacked together with a silky chocolate dessert mix from Royal Delights and topped with light-as-air, fluffy mocha whipped cream.
The star of this dessert is definitely the Royal Delights Dessert Mix that I used to layer between the crepes. The new Dessert Mixes from Royal Delights chef-inspired line come in two delicious flavors – Chocolate French Silk and White Chocolate. They are a delicious and simple way to bring luxurious desserts to your own kitchen table.
You need just two ingredients and six minutes of whisking to create a luscious chocolate dessert that can be used to layer cakes, fill pies, mousse cups or make any number of desserts. And I assure you, it is every bit as fluffy and delicious as it looks.
Head to the link below to find your nearest Walmart store where this product is available today.
- White Chocolate Dessert Mix: http://clvr.li/RDwcWal
- Chocolate French Silk Dessert Mix: http://clvr.li/RDfsWal
I used a basic vanilla crepe recipe to make the crepes for the cake. You will need to make a bunch of them to create height. I used an 8-inch pan to end up with close to 20 layers. If you use a larger pan, you will be short of a few layers, but otherwise the cake will be fine.
If there is something that gets me more excited than chocolate desserts, it has to be coffee! Coffee and chocolate are a match made in heaven, so this fluffy mocha whipped cream is the perfect topping for my chocolate crepe cake. Decorate with juicy strawberries on top and you have a stunning Valentine’s Day dessert that looks like you ordered from some fancy French bakery.
Here’s how to make this stunning Mocha Chocolate Crepe Cake. And don’t worry, it is really quite simple as you will see!
- Royal Delights French Chocolate Silk Dessert Mix - one pack
- Cold milk - 1 cup
- Unsweetened dark cocoa powder - 2 tbsp, heaped
- Instant coffee powder - 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract - ½ tsp
- Powdered sugar - 4 tbsp
- Heavy cream - 1 cup
- Milk - 1½ cups, lukewarm
- Eggs - 4, large
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Butter - 4 tbsp, melted
- All-purpose flour - 1 cup, sifted
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Fresh strawberries - 5-6, halved
- Chocolate Filling: Prepare the Royal Delights French Chocolate Silk Dessert Mix as per package instructions. Remove to a bowl, cover and keep refrigerated until ready to assemble the cake.
- Mocha Whipped Cream: Chill the mixing bowl and whisk for at least half an hour for best results. The heavy cream should also be cold.
- Take cocoa powder, coffee powder, sugar, vanilla and heavy cream in a cold mixing bowl. Using an electric beater, whisk on low-speed to dissolve the powders in the heavy cream. Increase the speed and beat on high-speed until stiff peaks are formed. Keep covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Vanilla Crepes: Add milk, eggs, vanilla, butter, flour, sugar and salt in a blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate batter for at least half an hour. The batter can also be made a day in advance.
- Heat an 8" crepe pan on medium heat. Using a wad of paper towel, lightly grease the pan with some melted butter.
- Pour 3 tbsp worth batter in the pan and quickly swirl to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes or till you can see bubbles on the surface and the edges turning golden. Carefully flip with a spatula and cook for a few seconds on the other side. Keep the cooked crepes on a tray or parchment lined baking sheet to cool completely before stacking.
- Crepe Cake Assembly: Place a pat of the chocolate filling on a serving plate or cake stand.
- Place a crepe on it, then spread a thin layer of chocolate filling on top. Repeat till all crepes are used.
- Generously frost the top with mocha whipped cream. If you like, you can frost the sides too, but I like to leave the sides plain to show the different layers.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries on top and chill the cake for ½ - 1 hour to firm up. This makes it easier to cut while serving.
- Store leftover cake covered in the refrigerator.
2. The crepe recipe makes 20-22 eight-inch crepes. Yo can use larger pans, increase the amount of batter for each crepe to ¼ cup for 9" and 10" crepes.
3. The crepe cake can also be made 1-2 days in advance. It firms up the layers and makes it easier to cut, making it the perfect make-ahead dessert!
I like to enjoy my crepe cake with coffee, the little one here swears by a glass of warm milk along with his slice of crepe cake!
Treat you family like royalty this Valentine’s Day with this irresistible Mocha Chocolate Crepe Cake. This cake is also perfect for any number of celebrations like a spring party, Easter, Mother’s Day or even a birthday!
Don’t forget to PIN & SAVE this recipe for later.
Have you tried making a crepe cake? Do you like chocolate and coffee flavored desserts? Do try this Chocolate Mocha Crepe Cake and let me know how you like it.
Here are more Valentine’s Day desserts to get you started on planning the perfect Valentine’s night-in with your loved ones.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.
I am sharing this over at Fiesta Friday.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.