You must think I am on a DIY/crafting hiatus. I just realized that most of my posts for the month of September, are recipes. What with planning a birthday and coming up with the October Photo Styling Challenge post, crafting has taken a back seat. Not to worry, I have an easy one to share with you today.
I made some lovely paper accordions to make into a banner for Boy’s birthday party. Paper accordions are so simple to make and the end result is so pretty. I’ve made some earlier for my book page wreath. Go here to take a look at them. The possibilities of using these pretty accordion fans are endless. Make them into wreaths, hang them on the walls, fix them on skewers or sticks to resemble flowers, make banners out of them or place them on party tables for added pops of color.
There are a couple of ways to make paper accordions. I follow the method of folding a sheet of paper to make a fan shape, and joining two such fans to form a circle shape. Since I didn’t take pictures of the process, here is a good tutorial.
As I wanted to use them for Boy’s birthday, I used bright-colored craft paper and used regular white glue to hold the accordions together.
The above picture roughly illustrates what I did.
You will need:
- Stapler or string
- Ribbon or yarn to make into a banner
- Fold a sheet of paper in accordion style (hence the name).
- Use a stapler or string at the middle to hold the folds together. Fold it in half and glue two of the end folds together. This makes a fan shape. See the brown fan in the picture above.
- Join a couple of them to make a full circle.
Note: The size of the paper used determines the end size and also how many fans are needed to make a full circle. If you are using smaller size paper, it may not fan out much and you will need 3-4 of them to make a full circle. Just experiment to see what works best.
- I cut out circles of white paper to fix on each one and spell Boy’s name.
- Glue a piece of paper at the back and join the accordions together with yarn or ribbon to make an easy, colorful banner!
Here it is in action at the party place. Would you look at that bright blue wall? I am sure some well-meaning soul thought it looks super festive!
So there you have it, a fun little craft!
How fun it would be to make little book page accordions for fall decorating? Can’t wait!
I am linking this up at October Before & After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick and at these awesome blogs.
- A Blossoming Life
- Skip To My Lou
- The Dedicated House
- Between Naps on the Porch
- Better With Age
- Colours Dekor
- Home Stories A To Z
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
- A Stroll Thru Life
- Cedar Hill Ranch
- Coastal Charm
- Elizabeth & Co
- House On The Way
- Savvy Southern Style
- The NY Melrose Family
- Not Just A Housewife
- The Shabby Creek Cottage
- 52 Mantels
- Domestic Superhero
- Living Well Spending Less
- Reasons To Skip The Housework
- Design Dining and Diapers
- The Shabby Nest
- French Country Cottage
- Common Ground
- Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
- My Romantic Home
- The Charm of Home
- Thirty Handmade Days
- Crafts a la Mode
- Love of Family and Home
- Tatertots and Jello
- Its Overflowing
- DIY Show Off
- Three Mango Seeds
- Nifty Thrifty Things
- By Stephanie Lynn