I have a really quick, delicious and healthy brown rice recipe for you. Brown rice is a great option for rice lovers and is so much healthier. It is great to use in a warm, one-bowl salad type dish.
I am calling this a salad, because it is fulfilling yet light, and a meal on it’s own, just like a good salad.
I added a nice handful of chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) for added protein.
I also had some fresh sweet corn, so that needed to go in the salad as well.
Then we add tomatoes for tartness and ripe avocados for creaminess and the good kind of fat.
I knew what I would be putting in my salad bowl, but I couldn’t make up my mind about the dressing, the stuff that pulls it all together. Too often, it is the dressing the kills the health quotient of something like this.
I wanted something light and fresh and what better than lemons or limes? Oh wait, how about I toss the rice and vegetables in a traditional South Indian lemon rice inspired dressing? Would that work, you ask? You bet it does! The great thing about it is that it uses very little oil, has the added benefits of spices like turmeric and cumin and tastes as gorgeous as it looks.
WARM LEMONY BROWN RICE SALAD
You will need:
For the salad,
- Brown rice – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Boiled chickpeas (garbanzo beans) – 1-2 cups (or use a can of beans)
- Fresh sweet corn – 2 (or use a small can of corn kernels)
- Tomato – 2, large
- Avocado – 2, large and ripe
- Cilantro or parsley leaves – a few, to garnish
For the dressing,
- Olive oil – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger – 1 tsp, grated or finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon/lime – 1, juiced
- Salt – a large pinch
- Wash brown rice in cold water a couple of times. Boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan, add rice and 1/2 tsp salt, reduce heat to low, cover and cook till done. Once done, fluff rice with a fork and keep aside.
- Prepare the vegetables and chickpeas next. You can either plan for this ahead, soak and boil the chickpeas or you can use canned ones. Same goes for corn as well. I boiled chickpeas and used the kernels from fresh sweet corn. Chop tomatoes or any vegetable you choose to use as well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rice, chickpeas and vegetables.
- To make the lemon/lime dressing, heat oil in a skillet or pan. Add cumin seeds and ginger and when the seeds start to crackle, add turmeric and cumin powders. Now turn the heat to low and add the lemon or lime juice. Stir to combine, add salt and cook for just a few seconds, but do not let it boil.
- Add the dressing to the rice and vegetables and mix well. Check seasoning and add more salt if required.
- Scoop rice salad into individual serving bowls and top with avocado slices and torn cilantro or parsley leaves and serve warm.
Enjoy a golden bowl of goodness.
This warm rice salad is really very good and the tadka dressing adds an interesting twist. Try it for yourself and see. I hope you’ll let me know if you like it!
I am linking this up at these awesome blogs.
- A Blossoming Life
- Skip To My Lou
- Between Naps on the Porch
- Home Stories A To Z
- A Stroll Thru Life
- Cedar Hill Ranch
- Coastal Charm
- Elizabeth & Co
- Savvy Southern Style
- The NY Melrose Family
- The Turquoise Home
- Living Well Spending Less
- The Shabby Nest
- French Country Cottage
- My Romantic Home
- The Charm of Home
- Crafts a la Mode
- The Novice Gardener
- DIY Show Off
- Nifty Thrifty Things
- By Stephanie Lynn