This homemade iced coffee naturally sweetened with dates and topped with thick whipped cream, is the perfect summer treat.
When it is warm, I usually swap out my evening cup of coffee for a nice cool glass of iced coffee. It is so refreshing and really easy to make at home, you don’t have to shell out an arm and a leg at some fancy coffee shop.
I usually have it plain, but just once in a while, I dress it up with a dollop of freshly whipped cream. Mmm… lovely! Just like my favorite frappe, but even better!
And the best thing of all, I use dates as a natural sweetener in my iced coffee. It adds a nice body to the coffee and is absolutely delicious. If you have never tried dates smoothies, you are seriously missing out. Dates have this rich, buttery sweetness to them and they are full of essential vitamins and minerals. Dried dates, as it is most commonly sold here, have an amazing shelf life. They last for months in the refrigerator. So get yourself some good quality Middle-Eastern dates and make yourself little treats every now and then.
Dates work great in smoothies. I make smoothies with dates, bananas, almond milk, and sometimes even chocolate. But my favorite way to use them is in my iced coffee. You can think of this recipe as a dates smoothie, really. Or an iced coffee. Either way, it is so simple, yet so delicious.
If you have this iced coffee without the cream and butterscotch chips, you will have yourself a healthy treat with no processed sugar at all. But if you are in the mood to indulge, whip some cream up, by all means.
I’ve been good this year, I only bought one tub of ice cream in all these months after winter. I swear. So I can treat myself to some nice, thick iced coffee, can’t I?
The recipe is super simple. I use instant coffee powder and simply blend all the ingredients together. But feel free to use traditional brewed coffee if that’s what you have.
Now you can make coffee-shop-worthy iced coffee right at home.
- Dates - 20, pitted (the dried variety)
- Milk - 4 cups, divided
- Instant coffee powder - 2 tbsp
- Ice cubes - 12
- Heavy cream - ½ cup, cold
- Powdered sugar - 1 tbsp
- Butterscotch or chocolate chips - a few, optional
- Soak the dates in 1 cup of slightly warm milk for a couple of hours, or at least for 20-30 minutes. Some really powerful blenders might not need soaking the dates, but it just makes your job easier.
- Add dates and the milk it was soaking in to your blender jar and blend to a smooth paste.
- Then add the rest of the milk, coffee powder and ice and blend till smooth.
- Whip the cream and sugar in a cold mixing bowl till you form firm peaks.
- Pour the dates iced coffee into glasses, top with fresh whipped cream and some butterscotch or chocolate chips, if you like. Enjoy.
2. You can even add a small handful of nuts while blending the dates to make an even thicker and healthier smoothie.
3. Feel free to replace regular milk with non-dairy or nut milk to make this vegan.
Can you believe iced coffee can be healthy? Use dates in yours, and it just might be!
This dates iced coffee is a great pick-me-up in the evenings and such a fabulous treat during the warmer days. Make some, pronto!
Do you like dates? And coffee? Put them together and this just might be your new go-to beverage.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.