Fresh and zingy, this sparkling mango lemonade with hints of mint will have you looking forward to the hotter days. Summer, bring it on!!
So here’s the deal. By the time you guys read this, I’ll be somewhere up in the clouds, flying home to India for our vacation. I’ve been humming “I’m leaving on a jet plane, don’t know when I’ll be back” all weekend long. I love that song not for John Denver, but for Armageddon, the movie it was featured in. I had a thing for it back in the day. Okay, I still do. Ben Affleck, anyone?!!
What would I miss if I got lost in space on a giant asteroid? Other than humans and oxygen and other sustainers of life on precious Earth?
Food, of course. Mangoes. A nice cool beverage on warm sunny days.
I would make a lousy astronaut. Freeze-dried food is just not my thing. Not to mention that delicate issue of motion sickness I have. Blech!
So, what was all this about again?
Oh, my vacation. I hope there are still mangoes around when I land in India. The southwest monsoons are about to start in Kerala, meaning less of summer fruits and perhaps lesser (read: more expensive) seafood. And those are the two things that I am really looking forward to enjoying. But mom tells me that I don’t need to worry as much about fish. In fact, she already has our favorite mussels made into her signature spicy achar and waiting for us. Maybe I’ll get lucky with mangoes too. (Note to self: Post recipe for Kerala fish achar/pickle on the blog).
Back to mangoes now. I’ve never come across anyone who doesn’t love them. Maybe the best mangoes are truly seasonal and elusive enough the rest of the time that everyone enjoys juicy ripe mangoes when they can get them.
I’ve been making mango lemonade all month long. Seriously. Until one day, the mister gently suggested that perhaps we could just eat some mangoes and not put it into everything I made!
Golden mango flesh and fresh mint leaves are blended with a simple syrup and combined with freshly squeezed tangy lemon juice for this delightful beverage.
You can pour some of this mango-lemon concentrate over ice and top with cold water for a fantastic mango lemonade drink.
I went a step further and served it with a big splash of club soda. Fizzy, sweet and tangy, this was the bestest thing ever! I am totally making this for mom and dad while on vacation.
Look how pretty it is! Yellow is such a cheerful color, no? Everything cute is depicted in yellow. Ducks, chicken, sunshine, stars and flowers, oh my! Aside from the fact that I can never rock a yellow outfit, I totally adore that color!! It’s just so happy.
The recipe follows.
- Mango - 1, large
- Lemon - 4 large, juiced
- Mint - ¼ - ½ cup, lightly packed (use as per your preference, personally I like more mint)
- Sugar - ⅔ cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Club soda - 6 cups, chilled
- Ice - to serve
- Wash, peel and roughly chop the mango flesh.
- Blend together the mango, lemon juice, mint leaves, sugar and 2 cups of water till smooth.
- Taste and add more sugar if needed. Since we will be adding more water or soda to the lemonade, make sure this mixture is sweeter than you normally like.
- Strain to remove fibers and pour into a large pitcher. At this point, you can refrigerate this concentrate till needed.
- To serve, add ice cubes to a large glass. Fill ⅓rd of the glass with the mango lemonade concentrate and top with club soda. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve chilled.
2. Feel free to omit the mint leaves if you do not like it or don't have any on hand.
Nothing like a cool refreshing glass of fizzy lemonade to get you through a hot summer day!
Don’t forget to SAVE & PIN this recipe for later.
If you love mangoes, this recipe is a must try.
Here are more lemonade recipes for you to try.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.