Cool down this summer with this delicious, nourishing and ever-so-pretty strawberry lassi, lightly flavored with rose-water and sweetened with honey.
Summer is my favorite season. I know there’s the heat, the sweat, and the bugs to contend with, but I simply don’t care. Or rather, I don’t mind all that too much compared to winter. Summer gives us gorgeous, colorful produce too. And it’s the perfect season to have beautiful, colorful foods.
Another thing that I like about summers is that beverages and cold foods are an acceptable meal. I can keep drinking my favorite lassi and smoothies all day long and be nourished and cool at the same time. You might want to take a look at this post to see how a simple sweet lassi drink is prepared. The most common uninspiring term that is used in restaurant for it is “plain lassi” though it is anything but plain. It is lightly flavored with freshly pounded green cardamom and fresh mint leaves and leaves you refreshed like nothing ever can. Apart from the classic, I also make lassi with fruits, mostly mangoes and berries.
Boy loves a large glass of berry smoothie when he comes back from school in the afternoon. In summers, I make it with yogurt because it is naturally cooling to the body. A pinch of cardamom and some rose-water makes it an easy, delicious and exotic lassi drink. And it was on one such hot summer day that I made this strawberry and rose lassi with juicy strawberries, rose-water and floral honey for sweetness. I didn’t know whether to keep admiring this pretty pink beverage that was simply too pretty to pass up or just guzzle it all up! Maybe both!!
Here’s how you make this delicious strawberry lassi.
- Fresh strawberries - 1 lb, hulled
- Thick yogurt - 2 cups, cold
- Milk - 1 cup, cold
- Rose water - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tbsp (or use as per taste)
- Cardamom powder - a pinch
- Salt - a pinch
- Pistachios - a few, for garnish
- Dried rose petals - a few, for garnish
- Roughly chop the strawberries and puree smoothly in a blender.
- Add yogurt, milk, rose water, honey, cardamom powder and salt and blend till creamy, smooth and frothy.
- Taste and add more honey if needed. Add more milk or a few ice cubes if you want to thin it a little bit.
- Transfer to tall glasses and serve immediately, garnished with a few chopped pistachios and dried rose petals.
2. Adjust sweetness depending on how sweet the berries are. I would suggest to start with the recommended 2 tbsp of honey anyway and add more only if needed.
This is a delightful summer beverage with the freshness of summer berries, the slight tang from yogurt and the floral notes of rose-water and honey. A perfect symphony in a glass!
Don’t forget to PIN & SAVE this recipe for later.
How do you stay cool in summer? Do you like lassi? Which is your favorite flavor? Have you tried strawberry lassi? Do try this recipe and let me know how you like it.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.
I am sharing this over at Fiesta Friday.