Make these spicy fish tacos topped with a quick red cabbage slaw and yogurt-cilantro crema for an amazing Tex-Mex dinner. Yay for taco nights, right?!
Taco nights are always fun, spontaneous events at the Happy & Harried household, almost like a little party.We like them all – chicken tacos, steak ones, tacos with eggs, potatoes, beans, and especially, fish tacos. Boy is like a cute little mouse, set out some cheese for his tacos and he’s good to go! The mister and I, we’ll take anything and everything, thank you very much.
Tacos take very little prep time and pack such a big punch in terms of flavor. Fish tacos especially, are really easy to put together because fish gets cooked super fast. Great option for busy weeknights.
You can use any firm, white flesh fish like tilapia. A light spice rub, a few minutes on a hot cast-iron grill and you are good to go. Fish is great for piling on the flavors too.
The classic combo is fish tacos with a simple red cabbage slaw. I also like avocado, fresh cilantro, a light yogurt crema and lots of fresh lime.
The slaw can be made with red or white cabbage and you can also add any other vegetables to it too. I simply mixed in a little bit of vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper, nothing too sharp to overpower the beautiful fish.
- Red cabbage - 2 cups, shredded or julienned
- Rice vinegar - 2 tbsp (can also use whit vinegar instead)
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Cream cheese - 1 cup, softened
- Cilantro - ½ cup
- Salt - to taste
- Fish - 2 fillets, around 1 lb
- Cayenne powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Dried oregano - ½ tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Tortillas - 4 (corn or flour)
- Avocado - 1 large, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Red cabbage slaw - 2 cups (see above)
- Yogurt-cilantro crema - as needed (see above)
- Cilantro leaves - to serve
- Lime wedges - to serve
- Red Cabbage Slaw: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside till needed.
- Yogurt-Cilantro Crema: Blend together yogurt and cilantro. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in soft cream cheese till crema is smooth. Refrigerate till needed.
- Fish Tacos: Rub cayenne powder, cumin powder, dried oregano and salt evenly all over the fish.
- Heat a cast iron grill, skillet or other pan on medium-high heat. Place fish on the pan and cook, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove and transfer to a plate. Gently cut fish fish into smaller pieces.
- Heat another skillet and toast the tortillas, 30-60 seconds per side.
- To assemble the tacos, place a few slices of fish, avocado and some of the cabbage slaw. Top generously with the cilntro crema, fresh cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.
How gorgeously colorful are those tacos?!
The slaw and crema cut the slight spiciness of the fish perfectly, the avocado and cilantro add a creamy brightness. These are, my friends, the perfect fish tacos!
Do you do taco nights? What are your favorite kind of tacos? Do share.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.