Here’s a delicious Game Day treat that requires you to just sit back and relax. Win over young and old guests alike with this easy cinnamon sugar popcorn topped ice cream cake treats.
The thing about living in a household of sport-obsessed guys is that sport references are everywhere. Aside from the fact that I have to deal with sporting gear and smelly socks on a daily basis, we as a family enjoy playing sports, watching games, and even catching reruns and highlights of previous matches! But nothing beats the thrill of catching the Big Game live on TV, right? The excitement, the anticipation, victory or defeat; it’s always enjoyable.
And have you noticed, but Game Day makes us hungry, and very much so. Secretly I hate the fact that I also have to deal with snacks and food for the viewing party. Sometimes the prepping, checking the oven in between and getting things ready takes away from enjoying the game.
What if told you that you can have a no-fuss game day party? I was checking out the aisles of our local grocery store for a eureka moment, and that’s when it struck me. The perfect party food – Ice Cream Cakes! Ice cream and cake together in a convenient package? Yes, please!!
My son loves OREO® cookies and milkshakes and this was our first time trying out the OREO® Ice Cream Cake. This cake has vanilla ice cream blended with OREO® cookie pieces, plus whipped frosting and more cookie bits when you cut into it. It was delicious!
When I came to know more about the I Love Ice Cream Cakes series, the more excited I became.
I Love Ice Cream Cakes has delicious ice cream cakes for everyday and special occasions, available in grocery stores in the bakery or freezer section nationwide. These come in many different styles and sizes, including original Carvel®, Peanuts®, Hello Kitty® and Jon Donaire®, and our favorite, OREO®. And guess what, they also have the perfect cake for the Big Game in February, the Carvel® Game Ball® Ice Cream Cake – a football-shaped cake made with layers of vanilla and chocolate ice cream, chocolate crunchies and fresh whipped frosting. Score!!
Now this seemed a bit too easy, so I quickly made some flavored homemade popcorn to go with the ice cream cake. I made cinnamon sugar popcorn and even the little guy could help me with the prep. It is such an easy recipe and you need just 15-20 minutes to put together this sweet and slightly salty treat.
Cinnamon sugar popcorn keeps well for several days in an airtight container, so you can make them well ahead of time.
For a fun element, we topped our ice cream cake with popcorn and added teeny-tiny ice cream cones, making it the easiest Game Day recipe ever. Look at all that ice cream and cake!
Throwing together a Game Day party is super simple with the I Love Ice Cream Cakes series. Check out their products and where you can buy them in your own city or town.
Take a look at that delicious frozen goodness! Need more inspiration? Here’s some Game Day party tips and coupons for you to enjoy, courtesy I Love Ice Cream cakes.
Did you think I forgot to share the super-duper simple Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn recipe? Well, here you go.
- Popcorn - 10-12 cups, popped (plain preferred, see Notes)
- Butter - 6 tbsp
- Light brown sugar - ½ cup
- Cinnamon powder - ½ tsp, heaped
- Water - 2 tbsp
- Sea salt - ½ tsp (see Notes)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg.F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Tip the popcorn into a large mixing bowl. Set everything aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add sugar, cinnamon powder, water and sea salt (Use salt only if popcorn is unsalted, see Notes).
- Stir until sugar dissolves and forms a thin syrup.
- Immediately pour into the popcorn and mix well with a spatula to coat evenly.
- Tip onto the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly in a single layer. Bake for 10-12 minutes, stirring and tossing the popcorn once in between.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Popcorn will become more crisp as it cools. Sprinkle more cinnamon powder and a pinch of sea salt if you like.
- Store cooled popcorn airtight containers at room temperature.
- Use cinnamon sugar popcorn as a snack or to top cakes, ice creams and other desserts.
2. Try to use plain popcorn in this recipe. If using previously buttered and salted popcorn, reduce the quantity of butter in the recipe to 4 tbsp and do not add any salt while making the syrup.
This recipe for cinnamon sugar popcorn is much lighter than traditional caramel popcorn and easier to make as well.
Don’t forget to PIN & SAVE this recipe for later.
An Ice Cream Cake from I Love Ice Cream Cakes is the perfect, easy, delicious dessert to treat friends and family to on Game Day, something that will thrill young and old alike. Sign up for the Crunchie Club to receive exclusive offers, news, party tips and more here.
Do you watch sports? What are some of your go-to party treats? Do try this cinnamon sugar popcorn and ice cream cake for a no-fuss Game Day this season.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.