Satisfy your wicked chocolate cake cravings with the bestest, moistest and easiest one-minute chocolate mug cake ever.
“So, what did you make for me, mommy?”.
That is how the little guy greets me as he charges in through the door every afternoon after school. His eyes light up if there’s anything with chocolate (and also ice cream and popcorn, but chocolate holds a special spot in his sweet heart).
I suck at making small batches of anything and most often wind up making way more than we can finish. So when I just cannot bring myself to make a full-size cake or a dozen cupcakes, I make him a mug cake. All the flavors of our favorite moist chocolate cake in one tiny, highly satisfying serving.
Well, it’s not that tiny, would you look at my giant mugs! But anyway, microwave mug cakes are the best invention ever. I do not cook anything in the microwave except for reheating my coffee for the umpteenth time, but I make an exception for a quick chocolate cake treat.
I love making single-serve desserts and this easy chocolate mug cake recipe takes the cake, literally. Start by whisking your dry ingredients together.
Then we whisk in the wet ingredients – an egg, some milk, oil and a bit of vanilla extract. You can use melted butter, but I like to use oil in chocolate cakes. The cocoa and vanilla add a lot of flavor to the cake so a neutral oil is more than sufficient.
Once you’ve whisked it all together to make a smooth batter, you can add your fun things. Tuck in a small bar of chocolate candy in the middle. Spoon some Nutella or peanut butter on top. Scatter some sprinkles over the batter. Or do all of them! The options are endless for such a humble little dessert.
In just a minute (or two, depending on your microwave’s power setting), you have yourself a delicious, moist and soft chocolate cake. If you remembered to tuck in the chocolate candy, the center will be even more chocolatey, moist and gooey. Ooh… I need one, like right now!!
Look at all that chocolate goodness. It’s so soft and moist, with the perfect chocolate crumbs around the mug’s edges, I am tempted to make a dozen mug cakes instead of cupcakes from now on.
Read on for the no-fail, easiest, best chocolate mug cake recipe ever.
- All-purpose flour - 4 tbsp
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Baking powder - a pinch
- Egg - 1, large
- Milk - 3 tbsp
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Vanilla extract - ¼ tsp
- Chocolate candy - 1 piece, optional
- Sprinkles - 1 tsp, optional
- Nutella or Peanut butter - 1 tsp, optional
- Powdered sugar - to dust on top
- In a large microwave-safe mug, whisk together the dry ingredients with a fork till no lumps remain.
- Add egg, milk, oil and vanilla extract and whisk to make a smooth batter.
- Tuck in a piece of chocolate candy or Nutella or peanut butter in the center, if desired. Scatter sprinkles on top of the batter.
- Microwave for 1 minute or till the cake is just set. (Start at 1 minute, check your cake and microwave in small time increments till done. The time will depend on your power settings.)
- Remove mug cake from microwave, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!!
2. For an even more decadent treat, top the mug cake with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Enjoy the easiest chocolate cake recipe that even your kid can help to make. It satisfies a sudden post dinner dessert craving, a mid-afternoon slump or a late night snack craving. It’s really the best thing ever!
So, don’t forget to PIN & SAVE this recipe for later.
Do try this easy microwave chocolate mug cake recipe and let me know how it turns out.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.