While I love everything homemade, I am not above using conveniently frozen or packaged items from time to time. I had a pack of frozen mini tarts like for ever. I finally decided to use them for a quick evening snack. This is a quick recipe that is so easy to put together, I almost feel bad posting a ‘recipe’.
I made spinach, deli turkey and cheese filled tarts. As you might have guessed, these were all items in my fridge that I had to use up. The basic concept is super simple. Melt some butter, saute some garlic, wilt the leaves, add any chopped-up meat or veggies, fill up the tarts, top with cheese and bake. See, it’s that simple!
When the tarts were all assembled, I thought the colors looked perfectly Christmasy. They’ll make the perfect holiday appetizers!
You will need: (Makes 15 mini phyllo tarts)
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 1 large clove, minced
- Flour – 1/2 tbsp
- Milk – 1-2 tablespoons
- Spinach – a handful, washed and chopped
- Turkey, ham or chicken meat – 2-3 tbsp, chopped (use deli meat or leftover roast meat)
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Mini phyllo tarts – 12-15
- Shredded cheese – for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg.F and thaw the phyllo tarts, if so specified on the package.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the flour and milk and whisk well to make a roux.
- Add the spinach and meat and cook for a few minutes till you end up with a creamy mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture in to each of the phyllo tarts and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes (longer for larger tarts) or till the cheese melts. Serve warm with a little dollop of ketchup on top.
I think pre-made phyllo tarts are going to be a pantry staple from now on.
- Use chopped up mushrooms, peppers, etc in place of the meat for a vegetarian option.
- Phyllo tarts take well to sweet fillings too. I am thinking cream cheese and berries for next time.
Here is another quick and delicious snack/appetizer – Vegetable Stuffed Button Mushrooms.
I am linking this up at these awesome blogs.
- A Blossoming Life
- Skip To My Lou
- The Dedicated House
- Between Naps on the Porch
- Better With Age
- Home Stories A To Z
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
- A Stroll Thru Life
- Cedar Hill Ranch
- Coastal Charm
- Elizabeth & Co
- House On The Way
- Savvy Southern Style
- The NY Melrose Family
- Not Just A Housewife
- 52 Mantels
- Domestic Superhero
- Living Well Spending Less
- Reasons To Skip The Housework
- Design Dining and Diapers
- The Shabby Nest
- French Country Cottage
- Common Ground
- Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
- My Romantic Home
- The Charm of Home
- Thirty Handmade Days
- Crafts a la Mode
- Love of Family and Home
- Tatertots and Jello
- Its Overflowing
- DIY Show Off
- Three Mango Seeds
- Nifty Thrifty Things
- By Stephanie Lynn