A delicious and easy weeknight pasta recipe with chicken, mushrooms and juicy sausage tossed in a bright and tangy chimichurri sauce.
I don’t know about you, but pasta is the quickest and easiest comfort food there is. Unlike soups, casseroles, warm curries and such, a pasta dish is as easy as ‘boil, saute, toss and eat’! There is no limit to the variations of pasta dishes that can be made. At the very least, keep rotating different shapes of pasta to keep everyone (read, picky eaters) interested.
I have probably tried every pasta brand there is, and of late, I have come across a definite favorite. The La Moderna brand of Golden Harvest pasta is my latest favorite. They come in 4 different shapes and includes Boy’s all-time favorites, rotini and spaghetti. I love the fact that that La Moderna pasta are high-protein pasta. I found them at Walmart on one of our mom and son jaunts and was quite taken in by their beautiful packaging. You can find out your nearest store to buy La Moderna Pasta.
I think I have mentioned this in previous blog posts, but there is no need to stick to the traditional tomato or cheese sauce to dress your pasta. Try other combinations, like tossing pasta with chimichurri sauce. Chimichurri is a no-cook Argentinian sauce made with tons of fresh parsley, cilantro, garlic, cumin, oregano, vinegar and olive oil. You could season it liberally with red chili flakes for heat, but feel free to tone it down for kids.
Boy is somewhat of a picky eater, but surprisingly, he adores chimichurri! It is tangy, fresh and savory and goes great with grilled meat, tacos and as I have discovered lately, with pasta too.
The last thing on my mind on busy weeknights, after having ferried the little one to his various activities, is fight him over food at the dinner table. A big bowl of chicken pasta comes to my rescue. It is filling, comforting, and can be loaded with all the good things that a growing boy needs.
This recipe has sautéed chicken, tender mushrooms, and crisped sausages, all tossed in that fresh green sauce. You could add cheese into the mix, but surprisingly, we didn’t miss it at all. You can also make this with any kind of pasta, but the rotini’s curls and crevices are best suited for oil-based herby sauces. You can also use lean ground beef or shrimp to switch things up a little, as chimichurri sauce goes well with literally anything.
Here is the chimichurri pasta recipe.
- Fresh flat leaf parsley – 1 cup, packed
- Fresh cilantro – ½ cup, packed
- Garlic – 2 large cloves or 4-5 small ones
- Dried oregano – 1 tsp
- Ground cumin – 1 tsp
- Red chili flakes – ½ tsp (or more as per heat desired)
- Vinegar – 2 tbsp (white, rice or red wine vinegar)
- Olive oil – ¼ cup
- Salt – ½ tsp or to taste
- La Moderna Pasta - ½ lb (I used rotini)
- Sausage - 1 link, sliced thickly
- Garlic - 1 large clove, minced
- Chicken - ½ lb, boneless and cut into strips
- Button mushrooms - ¼ lb, quartered
- Black pepper powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Chimichurri sauce - ½ cup (reserve extra sauce for another use)
- Blend all the ingredients for chimichurri sauce together till fairly smooth in a blender or food processor. Remove to a clean jar and set aside. This can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water till al-dente, 12-13 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet and add the sausage slices. Brown them on both sides and remove to a plate.
- There should be rendered fat left in the skillet. If not, add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the chicken and mushroom and season with black pepper powder and salt. Cook on all sides till chicken is opaque, 5-6 minutes.
- Return sausages to pan. Add pasta and ½ cup of chimichurri sauce. Toss to coat everything well with the sauce. You can add more sauce if needed, or reserve it for future use.
- Serve warm with or without cheese.
2. Feel free to experiment with other meat like ground beef or shrimp instead of chicken.
3. A glass of red wine goes extremely well with chimichurri pasta.
Try this easy and healthy pasta recipe with chicken and chimichurri sauce on a busy weeknight and watch your family happily gobble it all down. Isn’t that a gorgeous color?!!
Don’t forget to PIN & SAVE this recipe for later.
If you like this post, please follow this blog via Email to get post updates (find subscription box on the right side of this page, or scroll down in mobile version).
Stay connected on social media, PIN and SHARE this post.
#pmedia #MyExceptionalPasta #GoldenHarvest http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV